For more information, visit the FAS Community Resource Center
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders

Everything you need to know about FAS and FASD!

This site is sponsored by
FAS Training
Fasstar Enterprises

Support young adults with FASD - visit the FAS Store
The following Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD)
are caused by drinking alcohol during pregnancy:

FASD: Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
FASD is not a diagnostic term. It is an umbrella term that includes
the following diagnoses that are caused by prenatal exposure to alcohol:
ARBD: Alcohol Related Birth Defects
Anomalies such as heart defects, sight/hearing problems, joint anomalies, etc.
FAS: Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
Symptoms include small head circumference, small eye openings, smooth philtrum, thin upper lip, and brain damage. Full FAS comprises only about 10% of the spectrum. The other 90% may have fewer physical symptoms but are at greater risk for developing serious secondary conditions later. (Streissguth, 1997)
ARND: Alcohol Related Neurodevelopmental Disorders
(formerly called FAE, or Fetal Alcohol Effects)
Disorders such as attention deficits, behavior disorders, or other neurological disorders without the facial features. ARND is the invisible form of FAS.

Prenatal exposure to alcohol is the leading preventable cause of mental retardation in western civilization.
But most persons with FASD have an IQ in the normal range. (Streissguth, 1997)
The incidence of full Fetal Alcohol Syndrome in America is 1.9 cases per 1,000 births (1/500).
Incidence of babies with disabilities resulting from prenatal alcohol exposure: 1/100!
FASD is a major health issue in western civilization today. More American babies are born with FAS than with Down Syndrome, MD, and HIV combined.

"Alcohol causes more neurological damage to the developing baby than any other substance." Institute of Medicine report to Congress
(But what about Crack Babies?)

To learn more about FAS and FASD, visit the following sites:
(Be sure to BOOKMARK this site first!)
FASD and Social Development NEW!
Faslink and Triumf
FAS Research
CDC Prevention
FASD Homeschooling
FAS and the Brain
Photos and Stories
Top Ten Articles on FASD NEW!
Take the Online Fas Quiz
Diagnostics Guide
Cost of One Child
Alcohol and Reproduction
Research Abstracts
USA Resources
Canada Resources
FAS in the Court System
Teens and Young Adults with FASD NEW!
Resources for Teachers
American Academy of Pediatrics
Crime Connection
FASLINK for Families
Static Encephalopathy
FAS Characteristics
Family Support Online
FAS Training Online
Brochures, Posters, Handouts to download or print out here!

FASD Training
Fasstar Enterprises


FASD Awareness Day

Last Update: July 24, 2012

Come and visit

Search this web site: